Web Site: www.programmemed.eu/
The MED Programme proceeds directly from Europe’s territorial cooperation programmes (previously known as Interreg Programmes). It joins other initiatives under the “European Territorial Cooperation” objectives for the period from 2007-2013. Endowed with a EUR 250 million budget, it covers all of the northern coast of the Mediterranean (9 European Union States, with candidate States eligible to join in the projects). It falls within the scope of the Lisbon and Göteborg Strategies. Consequently, it gives priority to:
- Europe’s competitiveness through its regions,
- Promoting employment,
- and sustainable development
It funds concrete, transnational projects, based on open calls for tender to local stakeholders in the relevant Mediterranean territories.
MED Programme ID card:
- 1 strategic target: making the MED Area a competitive territory, capable of competing with the best in the world
- 12 national governments from the Mediterranean’s coastal regions, together to address shared challenges
- 4 focal issues: innovation, environment, territory accessibility, balanced territorial development
- 2 key criteria: projects of heightened transnational and concrete nature.